Saturday, August 11, 2007

Missing in Action!












I know I haven't posted in a long time but I've been going through some job changes and I'm also working on a few chapters for a book with some of my colleagues. Needless to say, I've been busy, busy, busy. But I haven't neglected my reading. Oh no, I'd never do that. So, here's what I've read in the past month or so.


Of course, I was one of the first in line for the last Harry Potter. I really enjoyed it but felt the ending was a little tidy. But overall a great read. Sad that it's over but enjoyed the ride. I won't go into details because I'd hate to spoil it for those who wish to read it and are still waiting to get it from the library.


One Night at the Call Center had a very interesting plot. Set in India at one of its many international call centers a group of co-workers (some of which are old lovers, friends, etc.) receive a phone call from God. Very interesting setup but I don't think it was as great as it could have been. The call from God was actually a very small but poignant part of the book. Worth the read if you are interested in India culture.


A Thousand Splendid Suns was probably my favorite of the ones above. I adored The Kite Runner and Hosseini did not disappoint with his second novel. Highly recommended.


The Mangler of Malibu Canyon is just a great fluff read. If you like twins who are biker chicks and private investigators, this is for you. Funny, sarcastic mystery. Great for a beach read.


Recently I thought I would give Christian Fiction another try. I haven't read any in years but at one point I had read everything by Janette Oke. So, I gave The Calling of Emily Evans a quick read. It just didn't live up to my expectations. The characters are too superficial. But don't regret reading it. I'll just try others. Let me know if you have any good recommendations on the Christian Fiction front.

2 comments:

Booklogged said...

Glad to see you back. Hoping that means life has settled down a bit and the changes in the job are working out well.

I read A Thousand Splendid Suns this summer, too, and really liked it. Hosseini is a good writer. Both his books are awesome.

alisonwonderland said...

i'm glad to hear that A Thousand Splendid Suns didn't disappoint. i'm often afraid to read a second book after loving the first one so much - but i'm going to do it! :)