Monday, May 7, 2007

Eight Cousins

Eight Cousins
Louisa May Alcott
1870

Rating: 2/5

Finally finished my first book in my first official blog challenge. Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott was my first selection from 1870 in the By the Decade challenge. A huge fan of Little Women and the rest, I was somewhat disappointed with this one.

The story surrounds newly orphaned Rose Campbell who comes to live at "Aunt-Hill" where her six aunts fuss over her to no end. A sickly child, whose small size belies her age of thirteen, Rose finds herself overwhelmed by her seven boisterous boy cousins. However, the arrival of her new guardian, Uncle Alec, and his progressive ideas on how to raise a little girl creates a new environment in which little Rose blossoms.

It was a interesting book in terms of the "old-fashioned" upbringing encouraged by the aunts and the "progressive" forms taken by Uncle Alec. In one part, the aunts were appalled with the idea that he might let Rose wear bloomers. And don't get me started on Rose piercing her ears. How far we've come! However, some elements of the book were overbearing. For example, the gentlemanly demeanor of the boys became annoying at times. The story was a little too sweet for me and Rose herself was almost sickeningly so but a lot can be said of my mood at the time. I'd love to hear other thoughts on it!

1 comment:

KarenW said...

I haven't read that one but what a fun idea to read a book from each decade. Have fun!