Monday, April 30, 2007

Book Crush recommends


I've been on a juvenile kick lately due to the recent publication of Nancy Pearl's Book Crush: For Kids and Teens. If you are looking for recommended reads for kids of all ages, this is a one-stop shop. Based on it's title and Ms. Pearl's recommendation as a fantastically funny read, I picked up Daniel Pinkwater's The Hoboken Chicken Emergency. Aimed at ages 5-9, this book succeeds in being laugh out loud funny as Arthur, out to buy the family Thanksgiving turkey, ends up with a 266 lb. chicken complete with walking leash. Arthur's father forces him to return Henrietta. Hilarity naturally ensues when Henrietta gets loose leading the town to call in a "top-notch" chicken wrangler.

If you're looking for another good read (especially for a boy around the same age), you should try the Hank Zipzer series. My own recommendation. Number one is entitled Niagara Falls, Or Does It?. This series features the "mostly true confessions of world's best underachiever." You can't get any better than that, can you? I actually found myself laughing out loud. Henry Winkler does a great job of showing that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. And yes, it is that Henry Winkler. Go Fonzie!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a reminder the scavenger hunt starts in the morning over at Amys Random THoughts at www.amychristopher.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to say howdy doody to ya ... I'm from Amy's Scavenger Hunt *smiles*

Unknown said...

I came via Amy´s Scavenger Blog Hunt - you´ve got a nice blog. I´ll give the "Letters From A Nut" you mentioned in your sidebar a chance!

alisonwonderland said...

a few years ago i heard Henry Winkler talk about the Hank Zipzer series and his own experiences as a child with learning disabilities. i recommended the books to my kids, but i haven't read any of them yet myself.