Friday, April 13, 2007

Candy & Me

As you'll learn if you read this blog, I have eclectic reading tastes. So, don't look for any themes here. I completely judge a book by it's cover. That's what first draws me to a book. In fact that was how my most recent read was selected.
Candy and Me: A Love Story by Hilary Liftin was a hilarious look at one candy-lovers history with the greats (i.e. bottlecaps, smarties, circus peanuts, twizzlers, tootsie rolls and so on). These candies and many others were there for every big (and not so big) moment in her life. Recently, I put together a candy box for a friend's birthday and just let me say that the search for much loved childhood favorites is something that must be done at least once in your adult life. The feeling you get when you find that elusive box of candy cigarettes (very un-pc, by the way) or that favorite brand of jawbreakers...I can't even describe it. Promise me you will go and do that right now! Go! Now! You promised!


Other candy related titles:



Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America
Steve Almond








Hershey: Milton S. Hershey's Extraordinary Life of Wealth, Empire, and Utopian Dreams
Michael D'Antonio





No comments: